“My father used to say that it’s never too late to do anything you wanted to do. And he said you never know what you can accomplish until you try.”
What is one thing common between Walt Disney, Ellen Degeneres, Harrison Ford, Michael Bloomberg, Vera Wang, Jeff Bezos & Harland Sanders ? All of them kept on trying to be successful & finally became super successful in their respective careers. All of them had a strong belief that it’s never too late for anything.
Whether you are budding corporate employee or budding entrepreneur, or you want to change your career or want to start something new in your life, NEVER underestimate yourself & just go for it. It’s your life & you are never too late to start.
UNDERPLAY AND MYTHS
I have often seen that people constantly keep on underplaying & suffocating their talent & ambition by comparing themselves to others. Honestly even I have done that many times & worked very hard to break these thoughts.
I have been able to break it by not believing the following voices/ belief system in my head:
- Success is meant for only special people. I may or may not be successful.
- I have to work in a 9 to 5 job in order to earn money.
- I should not try new skills/ new work/ new entrepreneurial ventures because of fear of failure.
- Life should be well lived by not taking too many risks.
- Success is mostly about luck.
The above thoughts are very natural, which can come to any common person like you & me. I must admit it’s easier to read positive thoughts every day & feel good about them, but it’s damn difficult to feel & take actions. To erase negative thoughts I built a new belief system in my core. I started feeling & believing that:
- I am unique in this world therefore I can do anything that I want to.
- One should embrace the power of their intuition.
- Success comes from hard work, routine & right habits. Luck may or may not help.
- There can be more than one source of income.
STRUGGLE AND FEAR
When you start something new, it’s always a struggle. But one must realize that your struggle is your Real Teacher.
Your struggle will help you achieve your desired life.
I remember that I got embarrassed to ask for help while studying at Hindu College in Delhi University. I thought that if I ask for help, I might be belittling myself….what will other people think?…they might laugh at me!… I gave the control to others. That was not good. With experience I realized the value of asking for help. During my struggling moments help came from strange corners. Important point is that it came because I asked for it.
Your have to start loving & embracing your struggle. Stop being embarrassed of your struggle. Start celebrating it. When people mock at you or question you, it should become your biggest factor to drive to become successful. Once you achieve your goal, same people will treat you differently.
People fail because they are trying to do something new…they are trying to get out of their comfort zone….they are trying to use skills which they have never used. One must try because no one has ever accomplished anything by letting their fear conquer them.
To avoid failure, you must :
- Avoid procrastination. Biggest reason for failure. Start early & don’t fear facing challenges which come on the way.
- Overcome distractions in your life. Have necessary mental strength to abstain from distractions while working.
- Remain open to feedback & advice. Don’t be embarrassed of your struggle as suggested earlier.
- Meet new people & learn. Build strong relationships with people who can help you. Networking will help you meet those people whose interests align with yours.
- Avoid expecting immediate results. The journey to your destination might take some time but do not forget to celebrate small victories. Small victories culminate into triumph.
- Avoid fear of failure. Use the lessons you have learned from all your past failures to pursue your dreams even with greater resolve.
- Have persistent behavior. Intelligence & talent can only be useful if you are persistent.
- Take responsibility for your actions. Your life will change forever.
It’s never too late to Start & Finish.